The value of a 1870 Indian head penny can vary depending on its condition and rarity. In general, a circulated coin may be worth around $20 to $30, while a well-preserved, uncirculated coin can fetch hundreds or even thousands of dollars.
The value of a 1870 Indian Head penny can vary depending on several factors such as its condition, rarity, and demand among collectors. While a brief answer suggests that a circulated coin may be worth around $20 to $30, and an uncirculated one can fetch hundreds or even thousands of dollars, let’s delve into more detail about this intriguing piece of American numismatic history.
Interesting facts about the 1870 Indian Head penny:
- Rarity: The 1870 Indian Head penny is considered a rare coin. It has low mintage numbers compared to other years within the series, making it highly sought after by collectors.
- Limited production: Due to a lower demand for pennies during that year, the U.S. Mint produced just 861,000 Indian Head pennies in 1870. This makes it one of the scarcer coins in the entire Indian Head penny series.
- Composition and design: The 1870 Indian Head penny, designed by James B. Longacre, features a portrait of Lady Liberty wearing a Native American headdress on the obverse side, giving the coin its popular name. The reverse side displays a wreath encompassing the denomination “ONE CENT” and the shield of the United States.
- Condition: As with any collectible coin, the condition greatly affects its value. A well-preserved, uncirculated 1870 Indian Head penny with minimal wear and original luster can command a significant premium over its circulated counterparts.
- Varieties and errors: As with many coins, there are also varieties and errors associated with the 1870 Indian Head penny. Collectors may be interested in specific die varieties, such as the Closed 3 or Open 3 varieties, which can impact their value.
- Market demand: The value of any coin, including the 1870 Indian Head penny, is ultimately determined by market demand. Factors such as collector interest, rarity, and prevailing economic conditions can all influence its worth.
To further emphasize the importance and value of collectible coins, let’s consider a quote from American numismatic expert Q. David Bowers: “To a numismatist, coins are not mere pieces of metal. They are ambassadors of history, windows into a bygone era.” This quote reflects the significant role that coins play in preserving and understanding our past, making the pursuit of rare and valuable coins like the 1870 Indian Head penny all the more fascinating.
As for the table requested, please find an example table below highlighting the approximate values of 1870 Indian Head pennies based on their condition:
| Coin Condition | Approximate Value |
| Circulated | $20 to $30 |
| Uncirculated | Hundreds to Thousands |
Please note that these values are approximate and can fluctuate depending on market conditions and individual coin quality.
In conclusion, the 1870 Indian Head penny is a rare and historically significant coin that holds interest for numismatists and collectors alike. Its value can vary widely based on factors such as condition, rarity, and market demand, with uncirculated specimens potentially commanding much higher prices. Exploring the world of rare coins offers not only financial opportunities but also a chance to connect with our rich numismatic heritage.
This video has the solution to your question
In this YouTube video about expensive penny coins, the narrator discusses the rarity and value of different versions of the 1870 Indian Head Penny. Noting collectors should look for doubling on the front and back and the presence of the “rapun state,” the narrator highlights how the coin’s grade heavily influences its worth. Several examples of expensive sales are mentioned, ranging from over $500 to more than $18,000, depending on the coin’s condition and grade. The video also showcases a valuable proof version, which sold for over $10,000, as well as coins with pickaxe impressions.
There are alternative points of view
USA Coin Book Estimated Value of 1870 Indian Head Penny (Bold N Variety) is Worth $152 in Average Condition and can be Worth $738 to $868 or more in Uncirculated (MS+) Mint Condition. Proof Coins can be Worth $492 or more. Click here to Learn How to use Coin Price Charts.
Indian Head Penny Values
DATE GOOD FINE EXTREMELY FINE UNCIRCULATED 1869 Indian Head Penny $85 $235 $445 $550 1870 Indian Head Penny $80 $220 $400 $500 1871 Indian Head Penny $130 $325 $575 $650 1872 Indian Head Penny $100 $370 $575 $700
Also people ask
- 1905 Gold Indian Cent. Heritage Auctions, HA.com.
- Double-Headed 1859 Indian Head Penny. Heritage Auctions, HA.com.
- 1864 L on Ribbon Indian Head Cent. Heritage Auctions, HA.com.
- 1877 Indian Head Penny. Heritage Auctions, HA.com.
- 1900 Gold Indian Cent.
- 1872 Indian Head Penny.
- 1899 Indian Head Cent – MS68.
- 1909-S Indian Head Penny.
|Source: Red Book|